So I’ve been banging on about the fact that it’s my birthday soon and tomorrow I’m going to do a birthday gift list for all of you who don’t know what to buy me 😉
I’m just so excited about turning 30! I have a month long of fun things planned – a party, a royal wedding tea party, a silent retreat, lunch with friends, crafting with crafty people etc.
So here are 20 things in my 20s I’ve been and still am thankful for (in no particular order)
1) Living with four fabulously nutty girlfriends in university and I’m proud to say that I’m still friends with them.
2) Visiting Venice, Italy – now my favourite European city. It was always my dream to go to Italy. I loved every minute I was there – the people, the food, the history, the Gelato!! I also loved wandering aimlessly through Venice’s narrow streets and taking a Gondola tour in the canals.
3) Meeting my best bud Jude when I was helping out with a children’s club in Woodvale. She brings colour, fun, randomness, chaos, wisdom and circus adventures into my life. I’m looking forward to our road trip in the summer!!
4) The Office US – has had me laughing out loud throughout the second half of my 20s. Definitely funnier than the British version. “We need a new plague!”
5) Spending 14 months living in Los Angeles – , experiencing a different culture, meeting celebrities, being part of an amazing Women’s group at the church I went to and just living in permanent sunshine.
6) Being part of a great church community in Belfast.
7) Meeting Candra at the 4th July fireworks in Atlanta. We’re modern day pen pals! She is the epitome of southern hospitality!
8) Getting to see my wee bro get married. i have a sister-in-law, how grown up is that?!
9) Rediscovering my craftiness – knitting, crocheting, embroidery, baking etc. I just love spending time creating things.
10) Being a small part of two sweet kids lives. I love babysitting them, taking them to the park, feeding them, reading to them and watching them grow up.
11) Starting my own cupcake business, Vanilla Sunrise. I love how my stuff is constantly developing and improving. I’m still taking orders, but because I’m flat out with work, I’m not pursuing it as much just for now.
12) Getting to go to April’s wedding in Atlanta, such a beautiful and special time.
13) Spending weekends at Janice’s house in Portrush.
14) Living with Sharon for almost 4 years. One highlight was using a hideous christmas present to hit christmas tree marshmallows across the room to each other. Also our anti-new year’s celebrations! Also our nights doing crafty things whilst watching period dramas. Also Sharon’s strange cooking…. etc etc. She is truly the sister I never had.
15) Chasing Solomon “ball” Georgi around Target.
16) All the amazing Belfast City Vineyard Church women who have prayed with me, encouraged me, spoken truth into my life and made laugh!
17) I’m thankful I’m truly beginning to understand and live this out
“If you decide for God, living a life of God-worship, it follows that you don’t fuss about what’s on the table at mealtimes or whether the clothes in your closet are in fashion. There is far more to your life than the food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body.
Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God. And you count far more to him than birds…..
What I’m trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God’s giving. People who don’t know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don’t worry about missing out. You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.”
Matthew 6, The Message
18) Witnessing my school friends (we’ve known each other from 1992! and one of them since 1985) get jobs as teachers (all of them!), buy houses, get married, have babies etc.
19) Meeting Bono – twice!
20) Being able to witness Janice’s reaction to someone posting her some poo!!